Monday, September 7, 2009

OK Two in one day! SELF TUNING GUITAR

Don't forget to look at the one below-cuz I am posting two in one day!
The reason is, I forgot some stuff! The lectures and Demos are one of the most important parts of the class-although it is hot and sticky,YUCK!- we have had some very interesting lectures on many different subjects regarding building processes, wood selection, inlay, rosette design and on this day, the Director, Bill Eaton gave a lecture on the "temperament" of guitars or how and why the fret board is laid out the way it is. We were also lucky to get a demo of one of his most recent builds. A double neck, one acoustic, One electric, and a harp course. The electric aspect of this beautiful instrument has an on-board computer that actually will self tune to over 200 different tunings with the push of a button within about 2 seconds. It all runs on servo motors that remember tunings that you load in. It also employs a synthesizer hex-pickup configuration for triggering midi synth modules for some really crazy effects, all the while being able to "mix in" the acoustic sounds of the actual instrument-CRAZY! Jon and I actually saw the tuning module demo'd at the NAMM SHOW on year when it first came out.
This particular lecture also dealt with scale lengths string tension and intonation. There is a certain amount of science and mathematics that have come way before me-thousands of years ago, some one figured this stuff out and it has been in a constant state of improvement ever since. I will post a picture of Mr Eaton as soon as I get permission from him and also a link to his website that details his work with other great artists such as Carlos Nakai, the great Native American Fluteist.
I will also ask Mr Eaton about recent CD's he has available-a gentleman and very inventive individual!
I also have been going to the Sail Inn on Sunday eves at 4pm to see "The Noodles" - a better than the Dead, Grateful Dead tribute band complete with the reproduction "Jerry Garcia" Guitars built by another instructor, Jon Reuter He also plays "Jerry"
in the band and I was very impressed with them and what great crowd of 'DEAD HEADS" complete with tye dye and spinning hippies! SO FUN! NOT TO BE MISSED! ANYONE COMING TO AZ NEEDS TO SEE THIS BAND! I will see if I can get permission to post a link to his website and Guitars. Ok Thats it!
Be sure to watch for the pix next week!

2 comments:

  1. Simply awesome, Scott. I've shared your blog with a few friends and we are watching your progress with great fascination. Self-tuning, what a trip. Have fun!
    Cheers, Jordan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scotty.... I am so proud of you... discovering something that inspires you... and after all of the years in post production... to take on a new craft and reinvent yourself! You are an inspiration to me! I look forward to reading all of what you are discovering. Cheers, my friend!
    .....Jaynee

    ReplyDelete