Monday, August 17, 2009

One week to go!

So, Final preparations are in place to get ready to go. This past weekend was spent in Wine country at the Healdsburg Guitar festival-a convention for custom guitar builders. We went to network, take a few classes, on playing, not building, and to meet a lot of cutting edge Luthiers. Some of the Better Known, Tom Ribbecke, Jeffery Yong, Kevin Ryan, Charlie Hoffman, Howard KLepper,Bryan Galloup, Kathy Winger, David Myka, Peter Marrerios, of Cornerstone Guitars,Judy and Jimmie Threat Aaron Andrews, and many,many others. also a few newcomers that I thought showed great promise. Joe Striebel, from Germay and Sugita Kenji. I also got a chance to Hang out with Wyane Charvel and his Son Michael- We all know "San Dimas" Charvel electric guitars and now Wayne is stating to do acoustics as well- His son, Michael is a guitarist and builder as well, super nice folks!

I also had an opportunity to meet, after about a five year email relationship of discussing guitars, Jeffery Yong who's Fall Line of guitars was absolutely stunning, Jeffery also deals with Malaysian Hardwoods( He is currently using "Monkey Pod" wood. He is also a luthier instructor, and has invited me to Malaysia to further my education. Ok---Malaysia...A very nice man with impeccable instruments. Jeffery and I met after I was researching someone to build my designs. It was through encouragement from Jeffery, Bob Bennedetto,Tom Ribbeke, and a few others, and of course all my friends and family that led me to the decision to go to school. Thanks to all of you. Michele and I happened to be at the right place and the right time and we got an invitation to attend a Barn Dance at Tom Ribbekes' house in Healdsburg. We enjoyed good people, cold beer and some great food with some really great, friendly people. We were thrilled to watch some of the greatest players in jazz and blues and country, play Tom's Masterclass instruments. In front of the Barn!! Always great to get a barn gig! Many people were not builders or players but professional craftsmen such as Fred Campbell, whom Michele and I talked to extensively, is widely known as the best "Finish" guy in the industry. He was actually the one responsible for us to be there.
Overall it was a great experience and opportunity to meet what I think some of the friendliest, knowledge sharing, talented and approachable people I have ever met. AND GUITARS? OH MY! I will post all my pictures on MobileME under Healdsburg Guitar Festival. Link is Below Too many to post here but be sure to check them out. We stayed in Guerneville right on the Russian River- Absolutely gorgeous in the middle of the Redwoods. Must see-a few Pics on Snapfish too.
Well,Keep checking in and those of you who know, I hope to see you all on the 21st!
at the Woodranch Bistro...
Mobile Me link for Pictures: http://gallery.me.com/scottjeffers1#100014

No comments:

Post a Comment